Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Make your own "Fake" sensory snow

So the other day Play Create Explore had a post on how to make fun Ice cream dough. When I saw that I had to try it with the kids cause we love Ice cream play.

That was then when I was inspired to use hair conditioner and mix it with baking soda instead of cornstrach. WOW!!! This stuff felt just like real snow, cool, damp, soft and even molds.

I was so excited cause I have been wanting to have a fun snow play with them using their Penguin play toys.

This is a MUST try sensory play. The kids had a blast and there is so much more you can do with this fun "fake" snow.

I even had fun playing in it with them, it is so soft.





To make the snow you need baking soda and hair conditioner. I got both of them from Dollar Tree.

How to make "Fake snow":
Mix 3 cups of baking soda to 1/2 cup hair conditioner

I tried 2 different hair conditioners and both worked great, the only thing is I would use the white conditioner so the snow is white. The 1st batch I made smelled great I used strawberry conditioner, but it had a pink tint.



"J" and "C" had so much fun playing in this snow. Be sure to check back cause I have some other fun things that we will be doing as well.

This play is great cause they can use their imagination, great fine motor play with making snowballs and also a great way to teach about the animals.







***This is something that can be used over again, you can place in a sealed baggie or if it dries out you can just add more conditioner to it and make it snow again.***



We love doing fun sensory bin play be sure to check out some of the other fun ones we have done below:





Thanks for stopping by to see what fun stuff we are doing. Be sure to come follow us on


19 comments:

  1. Does this keep, or is it something which should be played with then thrown away? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's really amazing !!
    I'll try it with my 3 years old son !
    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's it like for cleaning up after it's gotten (for instance) trodden into a carpet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks AMAZING! I am making some for my preschoolers on Monday morning! Thanks so much for the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! We'll have to try this one out too. and thanks so much for linking back to me :) (Play Create Explore)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It's listed above highlighted in blue. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thank you Catherine, I was rewarded as Granny of the year tonight with this idea. (The year is almost over :-( )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww so glad they liked it. January you will have to try the other things and then you will be Granny of the year :-)
      Try the Kool-Aid science a lot of kids love the things you can do and it is very inexpensive play here is our link.
      http://mommasfunworld.blogspot.com/2013/03/science-experiments-for-kids-using-kool.html

      Delete
    2. It's fab! I used it and it didn't feel very cold but it still was a lovely feel to it, my 6 year old son said it was "Awesome and he is going to tell his teacher Mama made fake snow" I think he gave it a thumbs up, he has been playing with it for an hour or so, but I had to drag him away for wash time :) It's quite easy to clean up too, I'm impressed, he played with his dinosaurs who are now having a lovely soaking warm bath ;) Thanks for this idea xxxx

      Delete
  9. What is it in the conditioner that reacts to the bicarbonate of soda Catherine? Both my husband and I have fibromyalgia and are chemical sensitive so I generally make my own natural products and use bicarb for many things and was wondering what I can substitute the conditioner for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I tried this, I couldn't get the consistency right enough to pack and it hardened after it sat for just a few minutes. We are looking to make a mass ton of it to have a snow ball fight with our youth group. In your experience with it, do you think that will work out ok?

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I am typing this, my 19 month and 5 year old granddaughters are playing in 'snow' and boy are they having fun!! Thank you so much. I will be scouring your website for more sensory activities. Again thank you for being willing to share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacki I am so glad they enjoyed playing in the snow. Once they are done playing do the magic snow balls.....the 5 yr old will love it.
      http://mommasfunworld.blogspot.com/2013/01/rainbow-magic-snowball-science.html

      Delete
  12. What is the science behind this?? I want to show this experiment to my class but i need to explain why its like this....

    ReplyDelete